Friday, June 26, 2015

MIT and MITES

In the summer of 1974 while at MIT I got a group of local minority students to help on a radar problem at Logan Airport. We were to examine the issue of airport surface traffic control and my group of students were what I had to help me out. They were sharp, dedicated and hard workers. The following summer, 1975, MIT formalized a program called MITES. It is not in its 40th year.

In the late 80s and early 90s I worked again with MITES bringing a half dozen or more students down to New York to work with me at NYNEX (now Verizon). They were great! They went on to Medicine, Investment Banking and Entrepreneurial start ups.

This is an amazing program and I am happy to have played a small role along the way. I still see the former students and from time to time get together. I have seen families grow and careers expand. Of all the programs at MIT this is clearly one of the most productive.

So Happy 40th to MITES!