Saturday, November 9, 2013

Don't Touch My DNA!

I read a piece in Healio on what people want regarding their genetic testing. The article states:

Sixty-five percent of respondents indicated that clinicians should be involved in explaining the results of direct-to-consumer genetic testing; 9% desired no clinician involvement and 26% did not offer an opinion. 

Fifty-seven percent of respondents believe the federal government should increase funding for genetic research, while 27% said spending should not change and 15% said it should be reduced. 

The Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act of 2008 was deemed “important” by 82% of responders.

 Now I suspect that less than 1% of the respondents had any clue about genes and their impact on their health. Furthermore I suspect less than 0.05% had a clue that say methylation played a more critical role than genes in many cases.

I also suspect, based on my exposure to physicians in daily practice, that very few, less than 10-15% can truly and knowledgeably  discuss genetic effects. Take prostate cancer for example, since we really do not know then how do we explain it.

Thus if we increase Federal Funding, then where and why? Now I think NIH and NCI do a super job, but what input can the general public provide.

In general one wonders what data gathering like this is worth.