Sunday, November 4, 2012

Nexus vs Kindle

I got a Nexus 7 when it first came out. It was wonderful. Then as the hurricane came in it just died. Just sat there and went black.

So I decided to write a review commenting on the fact. I stated:

The device was wonderful, while it worked. I had a Kindle Fire which is much more durable but much less functionality. The Google SW and OS worked splendidly but the ASUS product appears to be a fiasco, especially if one reads the reviews. I have always had concerns in Google overextending their brand. The ASUS quality seems to be grossly poor in my opinion. This is not something that Apple under Jobs would have allowed. I will attempt to resolve it with Google but given the reviews I have little hope. This will unlikely be a severe blemish on Google and I anticipate a nice note attached to this review by some ASUS entity but quite frankly automated comments do not remedy poor execution. Unfortunately, I ordered five more for my grandchildren and I now anticipate the money down the drain! I also suspect ASUS will not be responsive, but time will tell!

As expected, within seconds of posting there was a negative review. It must be some ASUS automaton. Or perhaps a Google robot. Let's see how we can track this! As I watch the negatives increase, I find it impossible that any potential buyer noticed this review. There must be some automatic responding mechanism, as I have found with certain other Amazon reviews, such as Microsoft. This only adds to the negative review by having the vendors, in my opinion, "smash" down the review so that it is not seen! Smart but people do talk and perhaps they should find out who they are smashing. 


Now a decade ago Eric Schmidt and I were Chairman and Co Chair of the Presidential Commission on Internet 2.  We got to know each other well and as Google proceeded I had concerns that they must focus on what they do well. Thus the Motorol deal was in my opinion a bad one, good for the patents but the hardware business is not compatible with the service business. Now the Nexus was a good idea for expanding the Nexus platform. But! That assumes that your vendor, ASUS delivers a quality product. Looking at the reviews it is clear that ASUS has some real problems.

Further it appears that either ASUS or Google is smashing reviews which are negative on Amazon. Frankly that may be on the verge of legality, in my opinion, namely using the wirelines to suppress free speech. But I leave that to the Department of Justice. In a matter of less than one hour there were over 6 negative reviews. That makes no sense given it is an obscure review. Clearly the vendor in my opinion is hammering down any and all negative reviews. Rather unethical, even more a reason not to purchase from Google et al. Pity, watch the reputation dissolve!

But the problem is that Google will be tainted by the ASUS poor quality. Google will be the recipient of the bad name, frankly no one in my opinion ever would buy an ASUS anything. But what is interesting is the almost real time attempt to smash down negative reviews. I will keep all posted! Especially after I send Eric the defunct Nexus 7.