Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Honor to our Veterans and Current Members of the Military

In anticipation of Veterans Day I just wanted to write a short piece honoring our veterans and those currently in the military. Generations of brave Americans have and continue to serve their Country with the greatest courage and honor. Let me mention a few:

First, my father and his shipmates on the USS Albert W Grant, who risked their lives and lost many shipmates in the Battle of Leyte. These men, and I have interviewed over thirty, were all from common stock but gave their fullest to the victory over the enemy forces.

























Then to my uncle Harold McGarty, who on May 4, 1945, distinguished himself on Okinawa, winning the Distinguished Service Cross for his heroism.
























Then there was my great uncle, Michael McGarty, who on October 14, 1918, in Chavieres in France, did likewise thus winning a DSC.
























Then too is Sergeant Paulie, my Marine buddy, close friend, and companion of many years, awarded the Silver Star and several Purple Hearts while on three tours in Vietnam, and then one of my former students, Captain Beth (USNR) who is actively in harm's way in a war zone today, to all of these brave women and men who have served and are serving, with honor and distinction, my great appreciation and prayers.

It is the honor, integrity, dedication and sacrifice of these women and men that makes this country what it is today. And of course prayers for those killed in enemy action at Fort Hood this past week.