Sunday, April 26, 2009

If all else fails, listen to the customer!

Just a brief not before the structured bankruptcy of GM. I have had a few Cadillacs over the years, some good some not so good. I have one with 300,000 miles and another with 225,000. They both get 27 mpg on the highway, just shy of my Honda. Last November I went to the local dealer and inquired about a new car. I left my phone number, name and whatever else, and asked him to call me.

Did I ever get a call. No, dealers do NOT call customers, dealers never lower themselves to reach out to a customer, that is a sign of weakness, they lose the negotiating edge. It may be in Lesson 1 in dealer school.

I was amazed that the dealers en masse still assume the world has not changed. If you went into a dealer you could start negotiating and still walk away feeling and knowing you have been had. I do not feel that way with my Dell. The price is there on line. I can compare to HP and a stack of others including the religious change to an Apple and make a decision. Can you do that with a car. No!

Perhaps one of the fundamental flaws is not the quality or mileage issue, perhaps it is the sales and distribution channel. It has been for decades an arrogant customer come to me approach and never would they ever think going to the customer. When was the last time Cadillac sent a thank you not, an email with a deal, never. Does the company need a change, yes, and that includes the dealers who must learn that they rely on the customer. Perhaps that is one reason why things are in such a mess!